Spitting Image (also called spit, spit and image)
Have a strong resemblance, often familial
- She was his spitting image, only with long, strawberry blond hair.
Accident of Birth
Luck in something due to family good fortune
- In others, such as America, it may be an accident of birth, with no conscious choice involved.
Bob’s Your Uncle
The rest is easy; you’re almost finished
- Just tell them you're a friend of mine and, Bob's your uncle, you'll get the job.
Flesh and Blood
Blood relatives, close relatives
- I must help her. After all, she's my own flesh and blood.
- Of course I find pretty young women attractive - I'm only flesh and blood.
- Tiger parenting is often confused with helicopter parenting, but they could not be more different.
- Teen drivers, who lack the experience of mature drivers, would get supervision that even a helicopter parent would appreciate.
Pop the Question
- There has been Westminster speculation that Mr Miliband will propose to Ms Thornton, a barrister and mother to their two children, soon, perhaps even choosing the most romantic day of the year to pop the question.
My Old Man
- My old man's taking me on holiday.
Run in the Family
Be inherited (as a trait) by multiple members of a family
- Proving that ambition and business savvy often run in the family, some daughters work hard to make a name for themselves in business.
Like Father, Like Son
Sons inherit their fathers’ traits and preferences
- Mr Smith and Tommy are both quiet and shy. Like father, like son.