comfort : 普通用词，指用语言或行动对痛苦者给予鼓励、勇气和力量，从而减轻其痛苦或悲伤，得到安慰。
- The girl's mother was at home today, being comforted by relatives.
- The victim's widow was today being comforted by family and friends.
- She comforted herself with the thought that it would soon be spring.
- It comforted her to feel his arms around her.
console : 较正式用词，侧重缓和或减轻别人的痛苦或悲伤。
- He tried to console her, but she kept saying it was all her own fault.
- I tried to console her with a box of chocolates.
- I was consoling Liz on having broken up with her boyfriend.
ease : 正式用词，指减轻身心的痛苦、不安和忧虑。
- To ease the problem of overcrowding, new prisons will be built.
- These pills should ease the pain.
- After the arrival of the United Nations soldiers, tension in the area began to ease.
soothe : 着重以安慰减轻悲痛、愤怒或激动，使人理智地平静下来。也可指药物等减轻病痛。
- to soothe a crying baby
- The music soothed her for a while.
- He would take her in his arms and soothe her.
- I had a long, hot bath to soothe my aching muscles.
- body lotion to soothe dry skin.
relieve : 指解除或缓解某人的病痛、担心或忧虑等，常用被动态。
- She was given a shot of morphine to relieve the pain.
- She relieved her boredom at home by learning how to type.
- to relieve the symptoms of a cold
- to relieve anxiety/guilt/stress
消除焦虑 / 内疚；缓解压力
- Being able to tell the truth at last seemed to relieve her.