clean : 是这些动词中最常用的词，指将某物或某处的污物等清除掉、弄干净。
- I'm going to clean the windows this morning.
- You should always clean your teeth after meals.
- Would you clean the fingermarks from/off the door?
- He asked her to help him clean out the stables.
clear : 指清除不要的东西。
- It took several hours to clear the road after the accident.
- I'll make the coffee if you'll clear the table.
- If you use this nasal spray, your nose should clear.
- After my aunt died, we arranged for her house to be cleared (= for the furniture to be removed from it).
- If you press this key, the computer screen will clear (= the text and pictures will be removed from it).
- Shops are currently holding sales to clear their summer stock (= get rid of goods by selling them cheaply).
- Paul helped his elderly neighbour by clearing her path of snow/clearing snow from her path.
- Could you clear your things off/from the sofa?
- I never leave work until I've cleared my in-tray (= have finished the work that needs to be done).
sweep : 指用扫帚等进行清扫，也用作比喻。
- sweep the floor
- The showroom had been emptied and swept clean.
- The owner of the store was sweeping his floor when I walked in.
dust : 指将积落在物体表面的尘土抹去、掸掉或擦去以保干净。
- I was dusting the mantelpiece when I noticed a crack.
- I broke the vase while I was dusting.
- Could you dust the sitting room?
mop : 侧重指用拖把擦洗地板，有时也指擦干净或擦去。
- He mopped the bathroom floor.
- She wiped all the surfaces and mopped the floor.
- He took out a handkerchief to mop his brow (= to remove the sweat) .
wipe : 多指用布、纸等物把东西擦净，也指擦掉某物。
- Do you have some paper towels that I can wipe the floor with?
- I'll just get a sponge and wipe the crumbs off the table.
- Don't wipe your nose on your sleeve!
- Someone has wiped their dirty hands on my nice clean towel!
scrub : 指用硬刷、肥皂或水用力地擦洗某物。
- She scrubbed (at) the mark on the wall for a long time, but it wouldn't come off.
- He scrubbed the old saucepan clean, and it looked as good as new.
- I found him in the kitchen, scrubbing the floor.
- She scrubbed the counters down with bleach.
- The woman scrubbed at her face with a tissue.
- Scrub the vegetables clean.